Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Minority Amongst Minorities

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth."
Mahatma Gandhi 


Mahatma Gandhi understood the importance of peace of mind.  Despite the struggles facing a people or an individual, there is always a safe haven: truth.

I decided to attend a Korean Calvary Church to surround myself with my culture -- if I can still call it my culture. To be a part of a Korean service made me feel at home and relaxed, listening to the language I am familiar with -- definitely a change from the University of San Diego scene, however I felt distant from these people.  For the majority of my teenage years, I was subjected to a non-Korean crowd.  Though it was my decision to be in these circumstances, I've always felt like the minority, regardless of the situation.  I took advantage of this position and enjoyed making friends with people unlike myself, but there was always a lingering discomfort.  I craved to be a part of the majority, to live in an environment with no judgment, with no stereotypes.  

Once I entered the University of San Diego, the craving exponentially increased and left me to discover the more diverse side of San Diego.  Not traveling far, I drove 10 minutes to the Korean Calvary Church and was greeted by a small contingent of church-goers (mid-20's).  Embracing the language which my mother taught me, I entered the main sanctuary and began to listen to Pastor Kim's message.  He spoke about the importance of maintaining your composure in times of change and want.   Despite the changes in environment and transitioning into a new location, one must not feel alone.  We have God and we have each other.  Strangers are and will be friends.  I appreciated the message, however I also noticed the interactions and exchanges of word between the people listening to the sermon.  There was an aura about them that I could not relate to, but could understand.  This is the feeling of anxiety.  I felt like an outsider despite the cultural backgrounds we all shared. 

I look like you, but I perceive the world through a different lens.

And so, I felt like a minority in the group of Koreans despite the similarities.  Did this discourage me?  Not at all.  This gave me the will to go out and continue to be a part, if not immerse myself into culture and make it my own, however there is always a battle to fight back at home.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment