Monday, November 2, 2009

Stop and Smell the Heliconias

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~Abraham Lincoln

Quality over quantity, huh? I sincerely believed that my goal in college was to graduate, to finish my classes with high marks, to add some HGH to my resume, to meet extraordinary and ordinary people. But what then? If I accomplish these menial goals, these short-term successes, how will these endeavors define me? I'll be the person who always tried to meet the expectation, the guy who lived life through a telescope. I want to be more than the expectation.

Yesterday, I stopped to smell a Heliconia flower -- this plant looks like a bird!



See?! To be honest, it did not smell great, but rather ok. I pass this flower every day, but I never take the time to stop in my tracks and stare at this bird flower. But when I did, this is what I said: 'It's beautiful.' Nothing more. If can say those two words, then I can assure myself that I am human. What is human? Being able to tell difference between a photograph and a painting, a speech and a song, searching and wandering. I do not want to strive for my goals merely for the satisfaction of others, let alone for my influenced psyche. I want to achieve happiness through my actions and later translate my happiness to an ever so curious world.

Where logical reasoning and the human psyche find common ground I am still unsure. How do they intricately weave between each other? There are a number of questions swelling my mind leaving me scrapping for answers wherever I can find them, but I'm sure I will find the answer during my time here at USD -- a good excuse for more blog entries -- the people I've met here thus far are more than I could have ever wished.

Until next time,

Dan Huh

No comments:

Post a Comment